Google Business Profile Changes Are Coming
Posted on Dec 16, 2021
Google Business Profile changes are coming, and to help, BestRx is sharing insight into the updates and how to ensure your pharmacy is prepared. The terms “Google My Business” and “Google Business Profile” are often used interchangeably, leaving many to wonder what’s the difference between the two. To put an end to the confusion, Google will be officially renaming Google My Business to Google Business Profile (GBP).
Wondering what this means for your pharmacy? Let’s break down:
- How the change will impact the way you manage your pharmacy’s Google listing
- New GBP features launching soon
- How to ensure your listing stands out
The Impact to Your Pharmacy
The transition to Google Business Profile will happen gradually over the next year (2022). It will have a minimal impact on the way you manage your listing – unless you utilize the Google My Business dashboard. Moving forward, the dashboard will be renamed “Business Profile Manager” and be used to support larger, multiple location businesses. Smaller, single location businesses will begin managing their Business Profile directly from Search or Maps.
To manage your pharmacy listing from Google Search or Google Maps:
- Search for your business (while logged into the account used to manage your Business Profile)
- Select from the options listed above the search results to edit/update your profile
- Make changes to your listing (updating business information, creating Google posts, adding images, etc.)
With this change, you will also be able to manage your profile on the fly without needing to use the Google My Business app.
With Change Comes New Features
During the transition, Google will be rolling out some additional features to enhance your GBP, including:
- Search Messaging: Launched last year, the feature offers businesses a convenient way to chat with customers on Google Maps. Soon Google will offer the feature on Google Search as well. This means you will be able to see and respond to customer messages from either Google application. Plus, read receipts were recently added, so you can confirm that a customer saw your message.
- Detailed Call History: More detailed information about calls made to your pharmacy from your Business Profile will also be available. The additional information will enable you to better evaluate the effectiveness of your listing to convert customers.
Making Your Listing Stand Out
An effective Google Business Profile can help you attract new patients to your pharmacy. To ensure your Google listing stands out, be sure to:
- Claim and verify your Business Profile
- Enter all applicable information for your Business Profile (adding a description of your business, selecting your business category, listing product/service information, sharing Google Posts and safety information as need).
- Update your profile and check it regularly so that your business information is always accurate, including your pharmacy name, hours of operation, website URL and phone number.
- Add photos and/or videos to your Google Business Profile (which can help to entice visitors to click on your business listing) including your logo, a cover photo, exterior/interior images, team and product photos.
- Manage your Google reviews: Business Profiles with less than 4 stars are automatically weeded out for “best XX” searches, which is why it’s so important to maintain positive Google reviews.
For questions or if you need help with your Google Business listing, contact Google Business support here.