Building the Perfect Pharmacy Software System
Posted on Jul 27, 2023
Although the “core” functions are the same for all pharmacies, no two stores operate exactly the same. For example, the needs of an existing pharmacy with a well-established, loyal customer base may be very different from a brand-new store. That’s why your pharmacy software shouldn’t be one-size-fits-all either. BestRx prides itself on designing software solutions that are not only robust enough to support independent pharmacies nationwide but can be customized to meet the unique needs of each individual store as well. In fact, with BestRx, building the perfect pharmacy software system is easy!
Build Your Perfect Pharmacy Software in 4 Easy Steps:
1. Select Your “Base” Software Tier.
The software functionality your pharmacy needs will depend on things like:
- The needs of your patients (including any language support that may be needed).
- Where your prescriptions are coming from (including any nursing home and long-term care facilities you support).
- The services you offer (including deliveries, online refill requests and remote payment options).
- Your plans for the future (which could range from adding new services to opening a new store).
These factors will help you to determine what software features are most important for your store. Plus, we haven’t even mentioned the elephant in the room yet… your budget. You may want all the bells and whistles, but the associated cost may end up bumping some features from your “must-have” to your “someday” list. This is why BestRx offers multiple options for a pharmacy’s “base” system. Rest assured, all our software tiers include the essentials, like:
- Access to the MediSpan database.
- Electronic prescribing, claim submissions and adjudication.
- Customizable dashboards, reports and queues.
- A DIR estimator tool.
- LTC and nursing home features.
2. Add Other (Optional) Advanced Features.
If your pharmacy requires more than just the “basics”, BestRx offers other software tiers that include other more advanced functionality, like:
- The Your Local Pharmacy patient portal and app.
- BestRx’s Delivery app.
- AutoProcess and Night Tech
- Inventory management and EDI.
- E-care plans (through the CPESN Network).
- IOU and partial fill capabilities.
- Medication Synchronization (MedSync) and Promise Time.
- Our Messaging Interface, including two-way chat.
If you need multiple advanced features, upgrading tiers is the most cost-effective way to go. However, if your pharmacy is only interested in one or two additional features, BestRx also offers several as individual add-ons as well. That way, you can pick the features you need and keep costs down, too.
3. Pick Your Integrations.
BestRx is proud to offer independent pharmacies access to more than 100 integrations with other leaders in the industry. Our extensive network of partners ensures pharmacies have all the tools they need to operate more efficiently and profitably, including:
- IVR and electronic faxing providers.
- Payment processors (BestRx is the first pharmacy software system to integrate with Square).
- Robotic integrations.
- Shipping and delivery providers, including FedEx, UPS and USPS/EasyPost.
- Specialty pharmacy providers.
- Telepharmacy options.
- Unit/multi-dose packaging options.
- Wholesaler and inventory management integrations.
That way, you have the freedom to choose which vendors you want to do business with. Then, we’ll work behind the scenes with each vendor to set up your integrations – and keep you updated every step of the way!
4. Decide how you want to access your software.
BestRx offers both traditional, locally installed software and cloud-hosted systems. Our cloud-based option is ideal for multi-store owners that want to be able access their pharmacy information without having to be on-site*. In fact, our cloud-hosted software can be accessed from anywhere in the world, all you need is internet access and a compatible, trusted device. If you don’t need remote access, our locally installed software will be your best bet!
*Access to our cloud-hosted software requires an additional monthly fee.